KILRAVOCK CASTLE, DOVECOTE AND GARDEN WALLS (Ref:1841)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
Croy And Dalcross Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 8140 4936.
A composite building dating from mid-15th to mid-20th
century, sited on steeply sloping, SE facing site. Rubble
tower and dovecote, remainder harled with ashlar margins and
Large square rubble built keep, circa 1460, with corbelled
and crenellated wallwalk, angle bartizans, cap house and
square south angle turret, forms NE arm of U-plan entrance
court. Tower linked to long, SE facing 17th century range by
square 17th century stair tower with ground floor entrance
in NW (now masked from outside by service passage). Moulded
doorpiece, decorated with crude stars and rosettes, gives
onto square stair well rising 3 storeys.
17th century mansion of 3 storeys (ground vaulted), 6
irregular bays with angle and near centre projecting stair
turrets; 4 swept dormers rise through wallhead. Later wings
of 2 builds and varying height project at NW to complete rear
court; rear NW elevation has later 18th century centre
projecting stair compartment, with centre entrance masked by
small square projecting crenellated porch.
Small, sympathetic, 3-storey over basement single bay service
wing in SE angle. Further 2-storey, irregular 5-bay rubble
service range at NE linked to main dwelling by harled wall
with ashlar cope and segmental headed, margined entrance to
form service court.
Later 18th century Venetian window in SW elevation (drawing
room). Multi-pane glazing. Pair bee boles in base of mansion
in SE elevation. 2 mural sundials at angles of main SE
Ridge and end stacks; crowsteps; slate roofs.
Interior; 15th century tower retains original plan form, with
mural wheel stair giving access to 4 floors and wallhead
walk. Modern chimney piece with carved quotation replaces
original in 1st floor hall, with corbelled and beamed
ceiling. 17th century range re-modelled and coved drawing
room ceiling with Adamesque chimney piece. Later 18th century
stair case with carved balusters, in north entrance wing and
entrance hall, which also contains re-sited ornate 1662
chimney piece (from 1st floor hall in old tower).
Dovecote; sited at south corner of castle to which it is
linked by section of former barmkin wall. 2-stage 15th/16th
century corner tower, with stone seated privy in ground floor
chamber and pigeon loft above, with door and small square
flanking pitching-eye, formerly fitted with iron yett. 19th
century shallow pyramidal slate roof, raised at centre to
accommodate flight holes.
Garden Walls; rubble garden wall with dressed stone cope and
segmental headed arched entrance, possibly incorporating
sections of earlier castle barmkin, fronting 19th century
Lands of Kilravock acquired by Hugh Rose of Geddes in 13th
century and in same family ever since. Keep thought to date
from circa 1460, when the Baron of Kilravock obtained a
licence from Lord of the Isles to build defensive tower. By
tradition an earlier building, cell or chapel was sited where
the abvesite now stands. Prince Charles Edward dined at
Kilravock before Battle of Culloden, and Duke of Cumberland
visited castle soon afterwards. Robert Burns visited Sept 6,
Entrance hall re-sited chimney piece dated 1662, initialled
HR and MI for Hugh Rose and Margaret Innes, married that
year. 1631 datestone at NW corner of house, inscribed NON EST
SALUS NISI IN CHRISTO and initialled WR, came from Old Nairn
Bridge in Nairn, built by Provost William Rose.
Pigeon loft only accessible by ladder; pitching eye for
ejection of pigeon manure.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, ii (1794) p.567 William Leslie,
GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTIES OF NAIRN AND
MORAY (1813) p.57. Spalding Club THE FAMILY OF ROSE OF
KILRAVOCK (1848) p.vii. C. Niven Robertson OLD SCOTTISH
DOVECOTES (unpub. ms. circa 1958) pp.382-4. MacGibbon and
Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, i
(1887) pp.384-6. Elizabeth Rose, THE HISTORY OF THE ROSES OF
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.