Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

HUNTINGTOWER CASTLE (Ref:18311)

This building is in the Perth And Kinross Council and the Tibbermore Parish. It is a category A building and was listed on 05/10/1971.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: N/A.

Description

Two tower houses linked by 1-bay addition in 17th

century. E. Tower early 15th century, remodelled late

15th or 16th century, 3-storey and garret with corbelled

wall work. Painted ceiling and remains of plasterwork

c. 1540 at 1st floor, good fireplace, aumrie, etc. at

2nd W. Tower late 15th or early 16th century with jamb

3-storey and garret with corbelled wall-walk, dovecot

in garret of jamb remains of mural painting at 1st-

floor; extensive old walled garden on E. Roof scar of

hall block on N. side of W. tower.

Notes

Guardianship Monument. Scheduled Area, 2 December 1999. Originally the Place of Ruthven and home of that family. Scene of the Raid of Ruthven 1582. The 3rd Earl of Gowrie was killed in the Gowrie Conspiracy 1600, the estate passing to the crown and being renamed Huntingtower. In 1643 became the property of Wm. Murray 1st Earl of Dysart. Sold to 2nd Earl of Tullibardine 1663 and thence to Duke of Atholl. Tower House 1760, calico printers dormitory thereafter. Guardianship 1912.

References

C.& D. Arch. V. 1. p 345 O.S.A. V. XVII p 644 N.S.A. V. VX p 1030, 1031. J.S. Richardson. M.O.P.B.W. Guide

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).