CASTLE OF MEY AND GARDEN WALLS (Ref:1797)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 13/04/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: ND 289 739.
Probably 1566-72, with various 17th, 18th, 19th and mid
20th century additions and alterations. 3-storey and attic.
3-bay centre block with 16th century projecting 5-storey
square tower at SE, and 2-storey, wide single bay crenellated
dining room wing at west gable with angle bartizans.
(c. 1954). SE tower with angle bartizans, crenellated
with modern glazing. 2 wings project at rear forming narrow
wallhead and regular later single bay fenestration in south
elevation. 1819 (William Burn, architect) Baronial porch,
with round-arched detailing, and entrance hall fill SW
with round-headed entrance with flanking round-headed
windows and double leaf doors, in projecting canted porch;
5-light arcaded window above entrance. 2-storey wing
projects at rear, forming with main castle elevation, 2
sides of high walled rear court, with round-headed entrance
under crenellated wallhead.
Piended dormers rise through wallhead; sash and case
window with multi-pane glazing; gun loops in south elevation
of centre block and in tower; coped end and ridge stacks;
Property of H.M. The Queen Mother. Built by George, 4th
Earl of Caithness, and passed to his 2nd son, William, who
founded the line of Sinclair of Mey Name subsequently
changed to Barrogill Castle, but reverted to Castle of
Mey when purchased by H.M. The Queen Mother, c. 1953.
William Burn addition of 1819 largely removed during 195
alterations. Crest of H.M. The Queen Mother (carved by
Hew Lorimer, circa 1954) over 1st
floor dining room window at west.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xv, (1840) p. 27. RCAHMS INVENTORY
(1911) pp. 9-11. p1. IV, fig. 3, (plan). IMPERIAL GAZETTEER
OF SCOTLAND, i, 240. Donald Omand, (ed.) THE CAITHNESS BOOK
(1972) P. 160, p1. 27.
Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH
ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978) p. 162. National Monuments
Record of Scotland.
H Fenwick, Castle of Mey, SCOTTISH TATLER July/Aug. 1979.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.