ROCKHALL HOTEL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:17393)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 5688 7555.
Composite L-plan house probably incorporating tower house at
west; present form established probably first half 18th
century; some windows enlarged early 19th century, and
interior re-modelled circa 1880 by James Barbour; further
alterations by J M Bowie circa 1915. House faces south west;
3 storeys; whitewashed rubble with red ashlar margins;
regularly placed small-paned sash windows. Stair turret in
re-entrant angle with small windows, blocked door and
shallow-pitched roof; main door alongside (by Bowie -
replacing Barbour's porch) in east range with crest above, 2
bays beyond. West range extends one bay from stair turret and
is blank at ground; small, low ground floor (bar) windows to
north west elevation, fire escape against south east gable.
Stair windows (by Barbour) at rear above modern function
room, and outbuildings, latter 2 storeys 3 bays with T-plan
roof and now linked with house. Corniced stacks; slate roofs.
Interior: turnpike stair in turret; wooden stair by Barbour
to rear above ground floor (lower part presumably removed
when function room was built); irregular narrow corridor
between 2 ranges runs length of house; some decorative 19th
century plasterwork in east range; barrel-vaulted ceiling of
bar is dummy at north end at least. Square gatepiers
(presumably by either Barbour or Bowie) have projecting caps
with engaged ball finials; curved, low quadrant walls with
spiked cast-iron railings; gates similar.
Home of Grierson of Lag, "Lag the persecutor" (Scott's
Stone table on lawn to west, dated September 1720, said to
have been a marriage stone.
Sketch by W C Aitken in Dumfries museum shows present bar
(then kitchen) without vault at north end (copy of sketch in
Fergusson, THE LAIRD OF LAG, 1886, notes on p.121 a sasine of
Rockhall dated 1.5.1610 which mentions "all and haill the
place of Rockhall laitlie biggit be the said Sir William"
Barbour and Bowie's Plans, mostly dated 1880 or 1915 held by
Sutherland Dickie and Copeland, Dumfries (Copies in NMRS)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.