MOUSWALD PARISH CHURCH, CHURCHYARD AND GATEPIERS (Ref:17391)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 065 726.
J M Bowie of Dumfries architect, circa 1929, remodelling
small plain, rectangular-plan 3-bay church of circa 1816.
Painted rubble, with red ashlar dressings, porch, bell turret
and spire. Gothic; hood-moulded, painted central doorway on
west gable, tall gabled porch with cusped panels and swept
gable detail supports octagonal bell turret with louvred
opening linked by looped hoodmoulding to each face and squat,
faceted and crocketted spire, apex cross. Hood-moulded,
pointed windows with cusped tracery flank porch (similar
windows to bay); panelled clasping buttresses at west end
with gableted pinnacles; gableted finial over east gable:
former vestry now a chancel; low, bull-faced, red ashlar
porch added in south east re-entrant angle. Shaped skews;
Interior: plain boarded dado, vaulted roof and pews.
Octagonal pulpit. Leaded 3-light chancel window undated.
Early stone font on modern base.
Quadrangular churchyard enclosure with ashlar-coped
rubble-built walls, gate at either end of south wall: square
rusticated ashlar gatepiers; hearse house to south east of
church. Square-plan rubble-built, crenellated burial
enclosure against south wall of church with 1655 armorial
panel: armoured male effigy in re-entrant angle: some good
17th-19th stone monuments.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Armorial panel & effigy noted in RCAHM INVENTORY 1920, No 517 Re-modelled after much debate, and after W F Crombie had been
consulted; there was a move that Dick Peddie of Edinburgh
should be consulted rather than employ either local
SRO HR 567/1 MEMORIALS OF MOUSWALD PARISH (copy in Ewart
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.