KIRKCONNEL HOUSE (Ref:17204)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 04/11/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 979 680.
Composite house, nucleus a 16th century house, 5 additional
building phases until 1823 when tall private chapel block
was added to north. Tower house: L-plan; 3 storeys with
gabled taller jam; mostly roll-moulded openings (bipartites
inserted at south); corbelled parapet encloses roof;
rubble-built with red ashlar dressings. 17th century
addition to south of tower house added in 2 phases, 2
storeys, harled west elevation includes blocked segmental-
arched roll-moulded doorway, single pedimented dormer head
retained. Gabled wing (probably first half of 18th century)
returns east from north end of latter thus completing
U-plan house with open court at east, but latter filled
mid 18th century by neat, symmetrical 3-storey 5-bay house
built of red brick with red ashlar lintels, cills, quoins
and inner bay dressings. Former chapel block is orientated
east-west, and linked to house by low corridor; 2-storeys,
red brick, segmental arched openings to service area at
ground, chapel and priest's room above have openings mostly round-headed; fore-stair on long north wall, lean-to's to
south. Glazing throughout mostly small-paned sashes; all
roofed with graded slates.
Interior: tower house vaulted at ground; chapel has coved
ceiling; pilasters at either end of chapel frame altar
recess and raised family pew. Quadrangular court to rear
(west), ashlar coped brick-built walls linked with tower
house and with chapel; (? circa 1800) brick outbuildings
at west and slated pend.
Chapel has been de-consecrated. House of Maxwell (later
Maxwell-Witham) of Kirkconnel.
3-storey, 5-bay brick house built for James Maxwell (d.1762)
after his return from the continent circa 1750.
RCAHM, INVENTORY 1914 no 456 MacKerlie, LANDS AND THEIR
OWNERS IN GALLOWAY, vol V (1879) p.220.
R G Mann, BONNIE GALLAWA' (pub. Dumfries Courier and Herald,
2nd ed. n.d.) p.14 (provides date of chapel)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.