BENTPATH VILLAGE, WESTERKIRK LIBRARY (Ref:16940)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 12/07/1988.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 308 901.
Built 1860. Rural library with major book collection. Building has simplified Gothic detailing to openings. Rectangular-plan; single storey; 3 bays (bipartite windows); tall 2-light S gable window with cinquefoil; recessed low reading room to N with gabled porch projecting E from re-entrant angle (timber shouldered opening and barge- boards), east-facing tripartite alongside. Squared and snecked bull-nosed ashlar with contrasting dressings. Coped end stack; roofs covered with graded slates. INTERIOR: fitted timber bookshelves line wall (books mostly uniformly bound and embossed "Telford's legacy") 2 freestanding bookcases; ornate cast-iron stove; exposed roof timbers, pointed doorways linking rooms flank fireplace in N reading room. Set behind low rubble-built and ashlar-coped wall with spear-head cast-iron railings.
Library was established 1793 (some references give date as
1795); OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (vol XI, p.527) (pub.1794)
records its formation for the benefit of the antimony mine
workers at Jamestown Glendinning by a grant of ?15 for books "some months ago"
from the mining company; at that time the collection
numbered 120 volumes.
Thomas Telford, a native of Westerkirk, bequeathed a
substantial sum to this library.
Groome (circa 1893) gives the collection as 6000 volumes.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT pp. 435-6
Groome Gazetteer, n.d. 2nd ed. vol IV p.480.
SCOTLAND'S MAGAZINE vol 70, no 1, Jan 1974
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).