WESTERHALL HOUSE (Ref:16936)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 318 893.
Much altered house and much restored. Work by Thomas Telford 1783; reconstruction work following fire damage both in 1873 and in 1955. Essentially 3 ranges in south-facing U-plan; north-facing neo-classical entrance in bay linking inner and E ranges. Mostly rubble-built with ashlar dressings and margins. Main inner range: completely gutted in 1955, and walls heightened/altered in reconstruction with main roof swept over stump of former N wing. 2 storeys, 2 conical-roofed turrets in roughly Z-plan arrangement, that on N wall perhaps originally a 17/18th century stair, that to S, with garden entrance, circa 1955; S elevation with 3-window inner bow. N ENTRANCE (?by Telford): possibly re-positioned in 19th century; broad outer pilasters, cornice and blocking course, wide panelled door with sidelights and thermal window above. 2-storey E wing comprises 2 unequal parallel blocks in double-pile arrangement; W wing single storey, curved low linking bay at NW. Mostly sash windows throughout with 12-pane glazing pattern. Corniced stacks; roofs covered mostly with graded slates. Unusual (?) 18th century ashlar-built well to NE, water spout set in S face, armorial panel above, water pours into trough below.
Listed for historic interest. The earliest known sizeable
job by Telford was at Westerhall.
Penfold notes a letter from Telford to Andrew Little, July
1783, "Mr Pulteney and I have made 100 alterations in
A Penfold, THOMAS TELFORD, ETC, 1981 p.11. (exhibition
NMRS - 1911 sale catalogue inc. photo; some prints taken
after fire 1955.
Groome, GAZETTEER, 2nd ed. vol VI p.480.
Information from owner.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.