TUNDERGARTH PARISH CHURCH, CHURCHYARD WALLS AND GATEPIERS AND SHELL OF FORMER PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) (Ref:16916)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 1750 8078.
Churchyard enclosing 1900 parish church by James Barbour and
roofless shell of 1770 old church.
PARISH CHURCH: Gothic; basically rectangular-plan, 3 bays
with square tower at SW, gabled organ-chamber in shallow E
jamb opposite. Roughly coursed rubble with ashlar dressings,
tower and S gable harled.
TOWER: door in re-entrant angle, W-facing window lights
vestry at lower level; louvred and traceried opening each
face of upper level, and simple parapet with birdcage belfry
over one angle.
BODY OF CHURCH: gabled timber canopy over paired doors at N
end of W wall; elementary perpendicular tracery, jamb with
rose window; single window to each gable; string at cill
level. Saw-toothed skews and slated roof with projecting
INTERIOR: octagonal pulpit with panelled front and decorative
canopy; carved, open timbered roof on shaped corbels; leaded
windows in either gable and on E wall, 2 of these by Swaine
Bourne & Son, Birmingham and London (signed).
CHURCHYARD: enclosed by rubble-built ashlar-coped walls; 2
coped, square, polished ashlar gatepiers with wrought-iron
gates (earlier gateway to W of lattice); some good 17th-19th
century stone monuments; rubble built shed (former watch
OLD PARISH CHURCH: abandoned 1900; T-plan, with 4-bay S
elevation, central door on each gable; rubble-built with
ashlar margins, now heavily overgrown: circa 1907 canopied
Gothic monument on site of pulpit, red ashlar, moulded arch
with cusping and ogee head.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Reference to old
church in NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, p.200.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).