This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
St Mungo Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 149 774.
David Bryce architect. Dated 1865. Large Scots Baronial mansion, mostly 2/3 storeys; with circular turrets, corbelled bartizans pedimented dormer heads, crow-stepped gables and coped stacks. Stugged and snecked ashlar with polished dressings and roll-mouldings; finialled slate roofs, conical roofs with lead figures 3-storey Castle Fraser-style tower with castellated porch-cochere to E fronting balustraded tall circular turret with bell-cast cap house; Courtyard formed by L-plan Crathes-style S range, mullioned and transomed turret in re-entrant angle. Mullioned conservatory at S re-modelled to form dining room. Extensive U-plan coach house and offices to NE linked by archway. Garden balustrade to W of house. INTERIOR: extremely rich and well-executed neo-Jacobean decoration to halls and to principal rooms; extensive oak panelling and ceiling plasterwork: some sensitive alterations (eg. in morning room) early 20th century, possibly by Scott Morton: fine oak stair (arcaded balustrading with wrought-iron enrichment) approached through square-columned screen: marble and oak chimney pieces
Designed 1862-3; built 1864-6 for R Jardine of Castlemilk and
One of Bryce's largest houses, the largest to survive
complete, with perhaps his finest interior.
A Rowan in COUNTRY LIFE, 1977; pub;
University of Edinburgh MR DAVID BRYCE, 1976 (exhibition
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).