ST MUNGO PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) (Ref:16885)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
St Mungo Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 1433 7706.
David Bryce architect, 1874-77. Rectangular-plan, 5-bay
gothic church with castellated 3-storey square tower at NE
angle. Coursed bull-faced ashlar with polished dressings;
stepped buttresses (pinnacled diagonal buttresses to body of
church); mostly pointed hood-moulded openings (some with
cusped tracery) - wheel window in each main gable;
TOWER: 2-storey engaged stair turret and angle buttresses,
louvred belfry opening above; broached cap house with
facetted stone roof, dummy machicolations and spouts. Gabled
porch central on W wall of church and at W end of S wall,
former with pinnacled diagonal buttresses.
INTERIOR: oak pulpit with linen-fold panels and columned
angles, organ adjoining at rear (E) by Abbot and Smith,
Leeds; open-timbered roof with cusped framing; fine, World
War I memorial bronze in vestibule by F M Taubman, London,
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Pub. University of Edinburgh, MR DAVID BRYCE, 1976.
(exhibition catalogue) p.112; SRO HR 39/1.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).