GALLOWAY HOUSE AND PARK WALLS (Ref:16876)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 20/07/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 4784 4527.
1740-1745, John Douglas, architect, John Baxter site architect. William Burn, 1841, additions. Robert Lorimer, 1909, additions and much interior work. Major country house built in 3 main stages; 18th century house 3-storeys and basement, 5 bays with central 3 pedimented; linked by quadrant corridors to 2-storey pavilions. The 1841 additions included considerable alterations to floor levels and fenestration of the main block as well as full-height additions to the main block. The early 20th century work is mainly concerned with alterations to internal arrangements and interior decoration with some additions to the S elevations. Rubble with raised polished red sandstone rusticated quoins, architraved openings. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced pedimented centre 3 bays flanked by paired giant Corinthian pilasters, at ground and 1st supporting heavy modillion cornice, paired panelled pilaster strips to 3rd floor support pediment. Steps oversailing basement to architraved, consoled and broken pedimented doorpiece with Stewart coat of arms in tympanum. All single light windows with Gibbsian surrounds to ground. To 1st outer bays with bracketed aproned cills, to inner bays bracketed cills, to centre elaborately carved scrolls flank boldly carved egg and dart architraved window. 2nd floor windows with bracketed cills to inner bays. All windows sash and case with 12-pane (9 at 2nd floor) glazing Eaves cornice, pediment to central bays with crest in tympanum. The 5-bay main block was extended by adding full-height flanking bays in 1841. 3-bay quadrant corridors link the main block to the 2X3 bay pavilions, both raised a storey in the 1841; alterations. The corridor windows are round-arched to ground with bold keystones, square headed to 1st. Deep panelled parapet. The major part of the 1841 work was in additions to infill rear of quadrant corridors. 2-storey, attic and basement pavilions have double banded quoins, all windows simply architraved, some with 4-pane glazing. Attic windows with bracketed cills break through eaves and parapet with pedimented dormer heads. Balustraded parapet with die piers at angles. E (GARDEN) ELEVATION: originally 5-bay, now 9-bay elevation (outer 2 bays additions of 1841) 3-storeys and basement, terminal bays advanced gabled 2-storey. Central 3-bay bow (1841) with splayed steps over basement to glazed doors. Doric columns support balustraded balcony over basement around bow and with steps to centre oversailing basement with curved balustrade. Ground floor windows tripartite (enlarged from single light in 1841), otherwise all single light. All architraved windows, sash and case with mainly 4-pane glazing.
S ELEVATION: mainly 1841 infill with central 2-storey bowed bay of 1909 with balustraded parapet. Mainly single light windows with 4-pane glazing. Addition at ground of columned pedimented ashlar porch and fine ashlar balustraded steps to 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: similarly detailed.
Throughout, piended slate roofs, tall corniced axial and end stacks single or grouped in pairs and linked by a cornice.
N WING AND OUTBUILDINGS: irregular 2-storey, piend-roofed bays with fine towering stack dividing. Outbuildings beyond including canted block with louvred ventilator (former game larder?).
INTERIOR: decoration, plasterwork, panelling and chimneypieces of main rooms, hall and stair are mainly the work of Robert Lorimer, 1909-10 alterations with plasterwork by Beattie. Entrance hall is elaborate with scale and platt stair, some balusters retained from original stair, some new tomatch old. Plaster ceiling cornices and roses are expecially elaborate, again in a mid 18th century style. The library survives more or less intact from William Burn scheme, as does the billiard room. The drawing room chinmeypiece is of carved and inlaid marble, probably dating from the early 19th century. False ceiling removed from dining room to reveal decorative vaulted ceiling. Weathervane dial within hall. ARCHWAY AND GATES: To S. Ashlar segmental carriage arch flanked by broad pilasters and giant scroll, with parapet and fine panelled 2-leaf timber gates.
BOUNDARY WALLS: to parkland. Rubble with poloshed red sandstone coping stones. In places walls have been reduced in height but mostly retain their copes. Lodges and walled gardens listed separately.
The Lorimer refurbishment was commissioned by Sir Malcolme McEachern. B Group with the four lodges on the policies which together with the walled garden and gardener's cottage, and Park Cottage, are listed separately. A glazed porch addition to the entrance was removed circa 1987. A modern metal fire escape to W end of pavilion was removed in 1989.
Stell: EXPLORING DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY 1986.
See NMRS topographical catalogue.
Plans, sections, elevations, William Burn, 1842, at RIBA; copies at NMRS, WGD/26.
Sales Brochures 1907, 1913, 1982, 1985, NMRS.
Macaulay THE CLASSICAL COUNTRY HOUSE IN SCOTLAND 1660-1800 (1987) pp 102.104.
Savage LORIMER THE EDINBURGH CRAFT DESIGNERS (1980) p 108, p 175.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.