AIRYLICK, FARMHOUSE AND CARTSHED (Ref:16831)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 17/12/1979.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 3134 4939.
Late 18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse; slightly lower pitch to jamb adjoined to rear, forming T-plan. Painted rubble; E and W elevations harled. Projecting cills. Set on sloping ground to S.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tall gabled stone porch at centre; panelled door, with fanlight, on return to W; set of steps, with red sandstone steps, up to door; window to S, and to E return. Regularly disposed fenestration; smaller window at centre at 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: window to right of centre at basement, and to right at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: window at centre at ground floor, and to left at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: window to both floors to left and right. Gabled jamb at centre; door to right, and window to both floors to left, to W return; window to both floors at centre to E return; blank to N. Plate glass glazing in sash and case windows. Coloured margin-pane glazing to window at centre at 1st floor to S elevation. Red sandstone coped skews and raised skewputts. Gablehead stacks, with red sandstone copes; harled to E and W, painted rubble to N. Small grey slates. Red sandstone ridges. Several octagonal cans.
CARTSHED: mid to later 19th century, small cartshed to S of steading. Rubble. Roof piended to S, gabled to N. Small grey slates. Red sandstone coped skews and ridges. Formerly 3-bay; N pier removed. Sculptured stone, of Celtic interlaced design, built into remaining S pier (see Notes).
In 1872/1873, the Rev Wilson describes the sculptured stone as having been "built into one of the pillars of a new cartshed"; he further states that the stone had been found when the foundations of an old outhouse at the farm were lifted. The nearby steading includes a post 1850 altered threshing barn, formerly with waterwheel.
OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 24 (surveyed 1847-48). SCULPTURED STONE. G Wilson "Notice of Sculptured Stones at Laggangarn, Mull of
Sunnoness, Airrelich and Cassendeoch, Wigtownshire". PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND 1872-74, p60. P H McKerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol II (1877) p263. J Allen THE EARLY CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND (1903) p.485. RCAHMS INVENTORY Wigtown (1912) p.85.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.