ELRIG, OLD MILL HOUSE, WITH GARDEN WALLS, GATES AND RAILINGS (Ref:16828)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 17/12/1979.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 323 473.
Dated 1865 2-storey, 3-bay house; some modern additions to rear. Painted squared and snecked rubble to E elevation; remaining elevations harled. Painted rybated margins, and long and short quoins to E elevation. Ornate cast-iron window guards to E elevation.E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: square-plan stone porch at centre; doorway to S, with modern door and plate glass fanlight; set of granite steps up to door, with decorative cast-iron handrail; windows to E and N; string course, with blocking course above; polished granite panel, inscribed "1865", to blocking course to E; 2 modern urns surmounting porch at outer-corners. Regular fenestration.S ELEVATION: enlarged window to right of centre at ground floor. Window to right of centre, and to left at 1st floor. Small segmental-arched window in gablehead. Modern flat-roofed addition to left at ground floor, and continued round to W elevation. One gatepier, of pair of tall, modern stone gatepiers, adjoined to outer right; pair of tall decorative metal gates.N ELEVATION: door to left of centre. Windows to outer right to both floors. Small segmental-arched window in gablehead.W ELEVATION: stair window to left of centre and window to right at 1st floor, above adjoining modern flat-roofed addition, continued round from S elevation. Lower 2-storey gabled wing adjoned to left, with single storey gabled wing further adjoined, both with various openings. 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to E elevation; mainly plate glass and 4-pane glazing to remaining elevations. Red sandstone coped skews. Red sandstone skewputts to E, surmounted by modern urns. Harled gablehead stacks, with red sandstone copes to E and W, and to N to 2-storey wing. Grey slates, larger and slightly graded to wings. Octagonal cans. Red sandstone ridges.GARDEN WALLS: rubble walls with angled rubble coping. Pair of cast-iron gatepiers and spearhead detailed double-leaf gates at centre to E.GATES AND RAILINGS: remains of mill buildings across road to E, now partly incorporating a garden short sections of railings and gates between remaining walls of buildings. Low serpentine concrete coped rubble walls, surmounted by curved decorative cast-iron railings. Pair of square rubble gatepiers, with decorative wrought-iron 2-leaf gates, to N section. Pair of plain cast-iron gates to S section.
Situated to the E are the former Elrig Mills, an extensive complex of ruinous rubble buildings dating from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. According to the THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, the farina mill closed in 1850, the bone-meal mill in 1904, and the oatmeal mill in 1913. Donnachie states that Elrig Mills, formerly bone and meal mills, have "probably been the largest mill in the Machars". Listed Category B in consideration of the fine ironwork.
THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 435 *J R Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol I (1976) p 268. * I Donnachie THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF GALLOWAY (1971) p 202.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.