WAMPHRAY PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD (Ref:16799)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 1307 9646.
William MacGowan, 1834. Simple rectangular-plan 3-bay church
with round-headed windows with intersecting tracery,
bird-cage belfry above W gable, (altered) tall gabled vestry
and hall off-centre on E gable. Enclosed by churchyard.
CHURCH: rubble-built with contrasting red ashlar dressings
and chamfered margins. Square-headed main door (incorporating
carved medieval slab as lintel) on W gable in shallow
projecting vertical strip linked to belfry. Ball finial over
E gable. Vestry and hall with door in each flank, modern
glazing below slate-hung gable head. Roofed with graded
slates. Simple interior, renovated 1899; pulpit at E,
panelled vestibule at W.
CHURCHYARD: enclosed by rubble-built walls with main gate at
E; extended to N in 20th century. Mostly 18th and 19th
century carved stone monuments; Rogerson burial enclosure
(red ashlar with rusticated quoins) with memorial to Dr John
Rogerson (1741-1823), first physician to the emperor of
Russia; Carruthers of Milne column near main gate.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A good 19th century country church in traditional style. The gothick style glazing pattern adds much to the character of the building.
The lintel of the west door of the church is a carved stone of considerable antiquity and interest (see RCAHMS Inventory). It is believed to date from the 9th century and have been part of cross-shaft. The carved ornamentation is similar to that found in Anglian metalwork and manuscripts and the stone is considered by the County Archaeologist to be one of the best examples of Anglian sculpture not currently in museum curation. It has been suggested that the stone may have come from Barneygill Chapel.
William MacGowan, the architect of the church, was a mason and burgess of Dumfries. No other examples of his work are known. His involvement here is recorded in the Heritors Records, held at the National Archives (reference given in Colvin).
List description updated June 2008.
H Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (3rd edition, 1995), p631. Groome, Gazetteer (n.d. 2nd edition), p475. RCAHMS Inventory: Eastern Dumfriesshire, p256. Third Statistical Account, p386.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.