GORDON CASTLE GARDENS, LAKESIDE HOUSE (Ref:1628)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 3471 5919.
Possibly John Paterson, architect, Edinburgh, 1800-01.
2-storey garden pavillion/tea house built to abut walled
garden, the garden wall continuous with S elevation of house,
against the ground floor of which was a former glazed vinery/conservatory, and into which the house opened.
Substantial later lean-to 2-storey rear addition; later
single storey lean-to wings flank house.
House is (Banffshire) slate hung at 1st floor level replaced
on S front by painted (?metal) material giving impression of tile-hanging. Harled and rendered additions and alterations.
Present entrance in re-entrant angle at rear. Bowed French
window forms centre entrance to 3-bay S garden front with
flanking windows, one half blocked. 1st floor lit by wide
centre bowed window with blind outer lights, aprons, fluted
jambs and frieze with lozenge ornament, Venetian window
lights W 1st floor elevation, 2 round-headed windows light E.
Multi-pane glazing. Mutule cornice encircles building which
has rear centre wallhead stack and flat roof.
INTERIOR: floor plan of original house is of single circular
chamber within cube on both floors, the upper floor
approached by curved cantilevered ataircase at E with slender
balusters and carved decoration to outer face of stairs.
Small rectangular rooms open off main centre chambers at
ground and 1st floor level. Circular rooms have beaded
panelled window shutters, panelled dados and doors, carved
wooden chimneypieces with fluted engaged columns each side,
decorative ceiling cornices. Carved trellis-like
ornamentation decorates curved wall of small 1st floor room
Estate plan of 1808 reveals Lakeside House fronted by narrow
rectangular building, presumably the conservatory, and by
un-walled garden. Accounts survive for trellis and other wall
papers from London for 'room behind conservatory', 1801.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88.
Scottish Record Office, RHP 2388 (foundation plan of 'vinery, conservatory and adjoining house'). SRO GD 44/51/389/11
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.