GORDON CASTLE FARM, STEADING WITH DWELLINGS (Ref:1623)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 24/03/1988.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 3540 5916.
Archibald Simpson, 1828-29. Substantial range forming hollow
square and comprising both dwellings and farm buildings, most
of the latter now gutted internally and converted to modern
Red harled with tooled ashlar margins and dressings. Regular
wide SW facing front range with centre arched entrance. Tall
ashlar segmental-headed archway with corniced and stepped
blocking course. Flanking mirrored 2-storey dwellings,
projecting front and back as single bay gables (canted to
courtyard) linked to archway by set back single bay, in each
of which is bracketted corniced entrance. Long ground floor fenestration, the front windows also with bracketted
cornices, the 1st floor fenestration lower, and some blind in
inward facing bays. Single storey and loft, set back 6-bay
outer ranges, with lunette fenestration above each window set
in shallow round-headed recesses, at left all front
fenestration is blind, at right the block has near centre
gabled porch. Varied multi-pane glazing, some lying-pane.
Squat coped and shaped ridge stacks; slate roofs with
projecting jointed eaves.
2 further long single storey W ranges are sited parallel to
main square, and linked at gabled frontage by square panelled
Rear, much altered range of buildings not included in
Scottish Record Office RH Plan no 2398 is a working drawing
with a reference to 'Mr Simpson's own drawings'. The series
of drawings reveal that a clock tower was intended as the
Described in 1842 as 'a range of buildings which for
amplitude, utility and elegance are certainly unrivalled in
Formerly the mains farm on Gordon Castle Estate and called
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xii (1842), p. 119. Scottish Record
Office RHP 2394-2404 and GD44/51/364.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.