FOCHABERS, THE SQUARE, BELLIE KIRK (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) (Ref:1616)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: 59-61,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NJ 345 587.
John Baxter, 1795-8. N facing rectangular 5-bay classical church with pedimented giant Roman Doric tetrastyle portico and steeple. Polished and tooled ashlar sandstone throughout.
Square clock stage rises behind portico with N facing clock face dated 1798, oculus in each remaining face and angle urns; octagonal belfry with louvred or blind segmental-headed openings in each face, facetted spire with 3 diminishing sets of oval lucarnes in alternate facets; copper weathervane with pointers missing.
3 doors within portico with radial fanlights; regular fenestration, the gallery windows shorter than ground floor and some blind in E and W return gables; multi-pane glazing.
5-bay front with pronounced projecting 3-window bowed centre bay; long windows over short blind panels in ground floor.
Piended platform slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby with mirrored gallery stairs; doorways left and right into church. Galleried interior (?possibly re-furnished by Archibald Simpson, architect, circa 1830), galleries at E and W supported by Greek Doric columns; keystoned detailing to panelled fronts.
Octagonal panelled pulpit on square base supported by stumpy fluted columns and reached by short flight of wooden stairs with simple balustrade. No back-board nor sounding-board.
Seating layout with minor alterations and missing communion tables; coffered detailing to pew ends. Later organ in S bowed bay.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Planned and built as architectural centrepiece of Fochabers by 4th Duke of Gordon. Original layout with centre communion tables, probably removed when building was recast in 1840s and pulpit placed in S bay window. Later alterations reverted to original layout, though present pulpit appears reduced in height.
Scottish Record Office RHP 8531-4 (plans and drawings dated 1795). George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843 (1957), pp 85-6, 175, 266.
Howard Colvin, BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978), p 101.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.