TYNET, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL OF ST NINIAN (Ref:1609)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 379 612.
1755, renovated 1787 and early 20th century, restored 1951,
Ian G Lindsay, architect. Simple long, low single storey
building with 10-bay S elevation with regular fenestration.
Harled, ashlar dressings. Plain square-headed entrance in
penultimate SW bay, doorway to sacristy in end E bay. 6
windows in rear N elevation; mainly 12-pane glazing. Ball
finial at W gable apex (circa 1787); stack at E gable; graded
Banffshire slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple whitewashed interior. Principal doorway
opens into entrance lobby with baptistry separated by flat
balustered railings. Doorway to church framed by (? re-used)
corniced doorpiece with fluted Corinthian engaged columns and
closed by pair 18th century fielded panelled doors with
modern partial glazing. Simple grey painted pews and
confessional; chancel separated by turned altar rails and
framed by reeded pilasters supporting simple wooden arch.
Small octagonal pulpit (1787) with octagonal sounding board,
fielded shaped panelling and moulded cornices.
Ecclesiastical buiding in use as such.
First surviving Roman Catholic church to be built in Scotland
after the Reformation. Replaced church sited in St Ninian's
burial ground, Chapelford, desecrated by soldiers in 1728.
Built by Father Godsman, incorporating dwelling of a 'poor
woman' as a 'cot for his sheep', as inconspicuous place of
worship. Until the building of St Ninian's, mass had been
celebrated in barns, frequently at night and the priest
travelling the countryside disguised as a farmer. With the
Braes of Glenlivet and the Arisaig-Moidart area of Lochaber,
the Enzie in historically strongly Roman Catholic.
St Ninian's was originally thatched, but slated in 1787,
re-using slates from the abandoned church at Chapelford.
Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xii (1842), p. 122. Peter F Anson,
'THE BANFFSHIRE BETHLEHEM, ST NINIAN'S TYNET' (guide book,
George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION
CHURCHES (1957), pp. 153, 267, pl. 22b. Robert McDonald,
CHURCHES AND PLACES OF CATHOLIC INTEREST IN MORAY (1980), no
p. nos. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY
(1981), p. 49.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.