TUGNET, ICE HOUSE (Ref:1605)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: 94-97,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NJ 348 653.
Dated 1830 (datestone re-cut circa 1975 to read 1630). 3 long
turf roofed vaulted chambers rise above turfed mound (each
divided internally into 2; continuous round-headed 3 gabled
elevation to N and S; square louvred openings in N and E
elevations (ice chutes).
Wide centre entrance under shallow brick coped gable; ashlar
lintel dated and decorated with incised salmon.
INTERIOR: wide entrance leads directly into centre chamber, intercomomunicating with remaining 5. Each chamber is high,
with barrel-vaulted ceiling and brick lined and has cobbled
floor inclined to centre drainage sump.
This range of late 18th and early 19th century buildings
connected with commercial salmon fishing are amongst the most
important of their kind in Scotland and a most unusual
survival. The icehouse, which appears to have re-placed a
former one mentioned in 1791-3, is the largest in Scotland
and is now a salmon fishing museum.
These buildings were designed and built to serve the rich
salmon fishings of the lower Spey, exporting salmon to the
expanding early 19th century urban markets and creating a
considerable income for the Gordon Castle estates.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88
THE STATISTICSL ACCOUNT (1791-3, Witherington and Grant ed.
vol xvi, 1982), p. 83. David Souter, GENERAL VIEW OF
AGRICULTURE OF COUNTY OF BANFF (1812), p. 87. NEW STATISTICAL
ACCOUNT xiii (1842), pp. 121-2. John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL
ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977), p.228.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.