GORDON CASTLE TOWER (Ref:1596)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: 74-77,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NJ 349 595.
Tall rubble tower of 6 storeys, 2 storeys at ground probably incorporating remains of late medieval castle, rubble built, with present tower said to date from 1540 with subsequent 18th, 19th
century modifications and circa 1960 demolition of much surrounding 18th century work.
Ashlar upper storeys with cable moulded string courses. Fenestration probably regularised in 18th century; multi-pane glazing to sash and case windows; remodelled crenellated upper storey with corbelled angle turrets.
Original stronghold of the Earls and Marquises of Gordon, formerly called the Bog o' Gight. The Slezer engraving shows the former castle in Renaissance grandeur before the Baxter work which incorporated the tower as centre piece in 1769, but which was in large part demolished circa 1960, leaving one range as the present Gordon Castle (see separate listing) and the tower as a detached structure.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88
As for Gordon Castle mansion house.
E Beaton RIAS Guide MORAY (1987) pp1146.
John Slezer engraving, Castle Gordon, 1672 (The Castle of Inverero).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).