MORTLACH PARISH CHURCH, (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), WATCH HOUSE AND BURIAL GROUND (Ref:15864)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 323 392.
T-plan church of mainly 19th and 20th century appearance, but incorporating medieval and post-medieval fabric. Restored and re-cast, A Marshall Mackenzie and Son and George, 1930-1. Harled, rubble N return gable, tooled ashlar dressings. Important monuments inside. Substantial (circa 1830?) N wing with 2 later 19th century pointed-headed entrances linked by continuous hoodmould; large pointed-headed 3-light window under hoodmould in gable, similar window in S gable. E gable lit by 3 re-worked medieval lancets; similar lancet in E bay of long S elevation. Centre projecting shallow gabled bay in S elevation flanked by paired square-lintelled later 18th century windows, each window with 2 mullioned lights and shutter hooks embedded in margins.
Rear gallery gabled dormer windows; varied glazing. Steeply pitched slate roof to main portion of church with circa 1700 skewputts; slated roofs elsewhere. Rear forestair to organ loft. Canted minister's porch in NE re-entrant angle (1930-1).
INTERIOR: entrance lobby in N wing housing collection 16th and 17th century tombstones; also celtic cross. Main body of church re-modelled 1931, orientated to raised chancel at E with 1931, pulpit and communion table. Recumbant effigy of circa 1550 in segmental mural recess (recess of 1931) at NE. Substantial 1694 mural monument (J Faid, Elgin) at S. With armorial, inscription and 2 sculptured busts. Recessed war memorial chapel in centre of S wall (in former organ bay); N and W galleries with plain panelled fronts, organ houses in W gallery. Some stained glass including circa 1918 memorial window in E gable by Douglas Strachan. Various 19th century mural tablets.
WATCH HOUSE: small square harl pointed watch house with canted W front. Centre door with flanking pointed-headed windows; tall rear renewed stack; piended local slate roof.
BURIAL GROUND: large irregular shaped walled burial ground sloping S and E to valley bottom. Coped rubble walls with spear-head railings fronting road. Pair carriage entrances at E and W with simple flanking capped piers. Interesting 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century tombstones.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Listing does not include modern burial ground on E side of
Celtic cross in entrance lobby a Scheduled Monument.
Recumbant knight in armour in N wall of chancel is effigy
of Alexander Leslie of Kininvie, died circa 1549.
Mural monument at S wall inscribed 'Mi fecit Johannes Faid'
(of Elgin) dedicated to Alexander Duff of Keithmore and
Helen Grant his wife (tombstones in lobby). Inscription
records happy marriage of 40 years and 'a flourishing
family of liberally educated children'.
Listed A for medieval E end and monuments.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (xvii and xxi, 1794-5, 1799) ed
Grant and Witherton vol. xvi, p.33.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1836), p.108. ELGIN COURANT, 26
June 1931. Description of reconstruction.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.