KININVIE HOUSE (Ref:15862)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 3188 4404.
Said to be 1523 tower house, additions 1610. Further
extensive additions and alterations by William Robertson,
1840. Some further alterations and additions 1929-30. Mainly
2 storeys over raised basement (site slopes to W); irregular
S facing U-plan house with mainly 1840 E entrance front.
Harled rubble, polished ashlar dressings, contrasting tooled
Gabled E elevation with near centre round-headed recessed
entrance porch in advanced gabled bay approached by flight
of steps oversailing raised basement; 2 long windows at left
lighting 1840 library.
Irregular S garden front incorporates 3 builds; at W 1523
single bay tower house of 4 storeys and attic, with abutting
drumtower stair turret corbelled out as small square
caphouse at upper stage. Entrance in re-entrant angle with
small flanking gun loops and arrow slits. Centre 1610, 3-
storey, 2-bay block (remodelled 1840); outer 1840 advanced
and gabled wing with large windows. Centre 1st floor windows
barely break wallhead under gablets with centre armorial;
re-set armorial panels in S and W elevations.
Mainly 1840 multi-pane glazing with thick moulded wooden
mullions (and transom to 1 window). 1840 angle bartizans;
original rolled moulded copes to 16th and early 17th century
stacks, copied 1840 margined end and ridge stacks. Slate
1929-30 addition bay to N and remodelling of rear service
INTERIOR: vaulted entrance lobby to 16th century tower house;
single room in each floor served by wheel stair, some deep
moulded cornices; pegged and numbered roof timbers in attic.
1840 HOUSE: entrance hall with public rooms left and right
(sitting room and dining room). Dining room with re-used
panelling (installed 1929); reeded detailing to wooden
chimneypiece; bracketted ceiling cornice.
DRAWING ROOM: (former late 16th century 1st floor hall)
carved wooden Adamesque overmantel to 1930's brick
chimneypiece; fine late 18th century fielded panelled door
and doorpiece with overdoor and acanthus detailing; plain
6-fielded panels to passage face.
Ornate turned balusters, in sets of 3 with differing
patterns to staircase installed during 1929 alterations.
LIBRARY: simple moulded ceiling cornice; plain grey marble
Home of Leslie's of Kininvie and Tullich from 1523-1943.
Lands of Kininvie granted in 1521 by John, third Earl of
Athole, to Alexander Leslie who died circa 1549 and whose
effigy is in Mortlach Parish Church.
Datestones of 1610 and 1726, the former resited after
blocking of 1610 entrance in 1840.
Lachlan Shaw, HISTORY OF THE PROVINCE OF MORAY (1775),
pp. 289-90. Moray District Record Office, DAWP 113.
Elizabeth Beaton, WILLIAM ROBERSTON 1786-1841, ARCHITECT IN
ELGIN (1984), pp. 22, 27.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.