This building is in the Moray Council and the
St Andrews Lhanbryde Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 31/05/1974.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 282 606.
James Ogilvie, master mason, dated 1735. N facing 2-storey,
3-bay house. Harled rubble, ashlar dressings. Later
additions at E gable and S elevation.
Centre door in N front masked by later gabled wooden
porch. Moulded surround to doorway; also to all front
windows, which have been widened in ground and 1st
floor outer bays.
Symmetrical rear fenestration; small ground window each
side of centre door (blocked at W) and in centre 1st floor,
all narrow with plain chamfered jambs. Single ground floor
and long 1st floor window in W gable; 8- and 12-pane glazing.
Oval oculus in W gable to light loft with 'James Olgilvie'
carved above and 'Marjory Steuart' below.
Moulded corniced copes to end stacks, with narrow pulvinated stringcourse below cornice and small ledge at inner face,
with moulded underside. Shaped skewputts, that at NW
dated; flat skews continuously moulded on underside and
splayed at base to follow line of bellcast roof; graded
Banffshire slate roof with stone ridge.
Later single storey rubble extension at rear, masking
rear centre entrance; single storey, 3-bay cottage (now
gutted) at E gable; moulded architraves to centre door.
End stacks and corrugated iron roofs to both.
INTERIOR: small circular cantilevered staircase with moulded
underside, polished wood balustrade and slender wooden
balusters; original moulded chimneypieces in W ground and
1st floor rooms; simple moulded ceiling cornices; 'stake'
and hris' (wattle, clay and straw) party wall in loft.
James Ogilvie was a master mason and it can be assumed
that he was architect-builder of his own dwelling in which,
in minature, he includes details from the greater mansions
on which he worked. The moulding on the underside of the
staircase is similar to that at Gordonstoun House,
re-modelled 1730, on which he may well have worked. James
Ogilvie was 'Architect and Undertaker' for Speymouth church,
he and the minister having 'contrived' the plan between
them in 1732-3.
Unusual detailing to end stacks, the ledges probably
assisting the cleaning of the chimneys besides throwing
rainwater away from the ridge.
Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88
Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH
ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978), p. 600.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.