COXTON TOWER (Ref:15774)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
St Andrews Lhanbryde Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 26185 60751.
Dated 1641 or 1644, but probably commenced in early 17th century. 4-storey tower house, each storey containing a single room. Harled rubble, ashlar dressings and margins. Centre entrance in S elevation to slightly sunken vaulted store. Off-centre entrance to 1st floor reached by later forestair with dated armorial panel above entrance; single small window to each floor in S front, small vents elsewhere. Round bartizans corbelled out at SE and NW angles with conical roofs, small windows and shot-holes square, open bartizan at SW angle with corbelled base and crenellated wallhead. Chamfered margins; iron window grills. Coped end and tall wallhead stacks; flush stone slab roof mounted on stone vault. INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor store with gun loops in N, E and W walls; stone slab can be raised from opening in crown of vault to pass goods up or down from 1st floor hall. 1st floor hall with deep window embrasure, mural closet, aumbry, small coat of arms and yett. Mural stair leads to 2nd and 3rd floor rooms. Each room barrel vaulted except that on 3rd floor which has arch pointed vaulting supporting roof, the vaults alternating in directing on each floor. Further mural closet in 2nd floor room; 3rd floor room opens to bartizans.
Armorial panel above 1st floor entrance initialled RI and AI
for Robert Innes of Invermarkie, superior, and Alexander
Innes of Coxton. Second set of initials are IR and KG for
Janet Reid and Kate Gordon, 1st and 2nd wives respectively
of Alexander Innes of Coxton, who died 6 October, 1612 and
is buried in Lhanbryde burial ground. Coxton Tower thought
to have been commenced by Alexander Innes and completed
by his grandson, Sir Alexander Innes, whose arms with
those of his 2nd wife, Mary MacKenzie of Coul, Ross-shire
are in the 1st floor hall. The armorial must be after
1647, the year Sir Alexander's first wife died.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE
OF SCOTLAND ii (1887), pp. 23-6. Stewart Cruden, THE SCOTTISH
CASTLE (3rd ed., 1981), p. 152. W Douglas Simpson 'Coxton
Tower', ABERDEEN UNIVERSITY REVIEWS XXXII, pp. 189-199.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.