(OLD) SPEY BRIDGE (Ref:15645)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 340 594.
Thomas Telford, 1801-6, George Burn, contractor; repairs
after flood damage, 1831-2, Archibald Simpson; reconstruction
of W arch, 1852.
3-span bridge consisting of 2 channelled ashlar arch rings
(1801-6, 73', 95' wide) at W. Widened deck and modern metal
balustrade. Tooled ashlar cutwaters; blind oculus in spandrel
of masonry sections.
Designed and executed 1801-6 as 4-span ashlar masonry bridge; 1829 flood demolished 2 W arches which were replaced by wooden span designed by A Simpson and subsequently reconstructed in cast-iron. Bridge now by-passed. River Spey forms boundary between Bellie and Speymouth parishes. Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88.
W Leslie, GENERAL REVIEW OF AGRICULTURE IN COUNTIES OF NAIRN
AND MORAY (1813), pp. 67-75. T Dick Lauder, AN ACCOUNT OF
THE GREAT FLOODS OF AUGUST, 1829 (1830, 3rd ed. 1873), pp.
235-8. J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp.
306-7. John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOLOGY OF SCOTLAND
ii (1977), p. 236. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS (1978), pp. 157, 736. Scottish Record
Office RHP 2008/1.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.