ROTHIEMAY HOUSE, KILN BARN (Ref:15618)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/10/1976.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 5512 4843.
Circa 1740. Long 2-storey kiln barn with long elevations
N and S. Mixed pinned and harl pointed rubble, tooled
granite dressings. Centre door flanked by vents; opposite
door in rear wall (for winnowing); 4 loft windows N and
S, kiln taking up one quarter of internal space at W of
building with small vents below eaves, N, S and W. Piended
roof with dormered loading door at E gable; some
alterations at E end for conversion of ground floor as
cottage in 19th century. Ridge stack for kiln and later
ridge cottage stack; piended local slate roof
deteriorating at SW.
INTERIOR: double-leaf plank doors hinged in centre (to
control draught for winnowing); drawbar holes to each
entrance, mural aumbry close to S door. Circular kiln bowl
with 2 openings into kiln, one above the other; original
smoke blackened 'kiln-sticks' now boarded over to make
floor at 1st floor level; stone mural chute from kiln
floor to ground floor. Storage loft with wooden shutters
to 8 windows with cills at floor level; pegged timber
roof with ashlar and sole plates at wallhead.
William Duff, Lord of Braco bought Rothiemay in 1741,
dying 1763; the barn is known to have been built during
his lifetime. This kiln barn is a rare survival, the
conversion of part of the E end as a gardener's cottage
in no way obscuring the functional nature of the building.
There is one other kiln barn in Moray District, now Bow
Cottage, Ballindalloch and one similar building, at
Sandside, Caithness. Change of Category B to A 25.4.89.
H Gordon Slade, "Rothiemay: an 18th century kiln barn',
VERNACULAR BUILDING 4 (1978), pp. 21-27.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.