MAINS OF MAYEN (Ref:15610)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 574 478.
Dated 1680. 2-storey, L-plan house with circular stair
turret in re-entrant angle; 3 builds circa 1600, 1680 and
mid-later 19th century. Harled, whinstone and granite
ashlar dressings, substantial boulder footings to earliest
portion of house at N. N-S rectangular block with main E
elevation comprises circa 1600 build at N and 1680 at S,
with simple doorway in E front under dated and inscribed
plaque. Mid-later 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay block at
right angles with projecting gabled porch in N face and
enlarged ground floor windows. Circular stair tower with
2 windows and diminutive gabletted wallhead dormers;
bellcast slated roof. Varied fenestration with small
gabletted dormers breaking wallhead in older portion, 1
dormer at E having gablet dated 1680. Substantial early
ridge stack in early block (probably circa 1600) with end
stacks, small ridge stack in mid-later 19th century wing;
slate roofs; crowstepped gables.
INTERIOR: simple interior; plank door with long blacksmith's
hinges in E elevation giving into room with hearth in cross
wall with roughly tooled granite facings and 2 mural
aumbries. Ground floor room at N with indication of former
internal mural stair; wheel stair in drum tower.
Lands of Mayen were originally part of the Barony of
Rothiemay and were bestowed on David Abernethy by David
II in 14th century; in 1445 an Abernethy became the first
Earl of Saltoun. Arms above doorway for Alexander Abernethy
and Jean Hacket or Halkett his wife, 'Alus per Christum
AA IH 1680'. The property was purchased by Major Alexander
Duff in 1785-8, who built Mayen House and demoted the old
house as the Mains of Mayen. West wing of mid-later 19th
century date appears on 1st ed OS of circa 1870. Change
of Category B to A, 25.4.89.
Nigel Tranter, THE FORTIFIED HOUSE IN SCOTLAND v (1986),
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.