ALTYRE, OLD CHURCH (Ref:15604)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 035 553.
Roofless medieval church. Rubble, ashlar dressings. Orientated to E. Shallow pointed-headed entrance at SW mirrored by additional entrance opposite in N wall furnished with draw-bar hole. 3 narrow pointed-headed lancets light chancel end of S elevation, 2 further in centre of N wall. Pointed-headed window (formerly with simply Y-tracery) in centre of E gable; paired windows, one on top of other reveal later alterations in W gable. 3 tombs within church, a few outside.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 5809. Altyre formerly a parish in its own right but served from
Dallas; joined to Rafford parish 1659-1661. Tombstone within
church commemorates Robert Cumming of Logie, 1744-1812. Site
cleared and some masonry consolidation (Law and
Dunbar-Nasmith, architects) 1986.
Standing Stone to E (at NJ 039 553) is also a Scheduled Monument, No 1222.
Change of Category B to A 25.4.89.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1794-5, Witherington and Grant xvi,
1982), p.632. MacGibbon and Ross, THE ECCLESIASTICAL
ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND ii (1896), pp.290-2.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.