RAFFORD PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) (Ref:15589)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 060 563.
James Gillespie Graham, 1826; alterations and additions, P
MacGregor Chalmers, Glasgow 1907. Gothic. Harl pointed
rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. S gable fronted
by 3-stage tower with entrance at base, each stage delineated
by string course; recessed entrance with Perpendicular Gothic
doorpiece flanked by ashlar dummy facetted lanterns with
crocketted caps. Hoodmoulded pointed-headed traceried window
above; louvred fenestration in upper stage, N, S and W faces
of tower; ashlar balustraded wallhead with substantial
corbelled and crocketted angle pinnacles. 3 large windows
with Perpendicular tracery light to long W elevation, each
window flanked by stepped buttress terminating at wallhead
with substantial crocketted pinnacle. 3 (1907) similar
windows light E elevation, buttressed only in outer bays.
Large hoodmoulded and similarly traceried window in centre of
N gable. Small (1907) hexagonal vestry at NE. Clear quarry
glazing (1907) except for circa 1918 stained glass window at
N. Apex across finial at N gable; slate roof.
INTERIOR: lofty all interior largely remodelled 1907. Cusped
panelled dado encircles interior (made from former gallery
front); cusped panelled pulpit, holy table and rear screen
(all 1907); round-headed entrance (also 1907) into church
from entrance lobby; plain stained pine pews (1907).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Replaced earlier church sited in present (old) burial ground.
Stained glass window given in memory of Capt H B Galloway,
killed in action, 1915. Clock dated 1907 at rear of church
gifted by Alexander Walker, a native of Rafford, then
President of the Colonial Bank of New York.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p.254. FORRES GAZETTE,
21 August 1907, p.3 (description of alterations and
additions). George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH
POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843 (1958), pp.130, 141, 267.
Angus Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY (1981), p.42.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.