BURGIE TOWER (Ref:15586)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 9368 5931.
Dated 1602. Tall, 6-storey tower, the surviving portion of
former castle. Harl pointed rubble, ashlar dressings. Square
tower with crenellated and bartizaned wallhead with cannon
waterspouts; regular fenestration; projecting circular stair
turret rising full-height against E elevation; doorway at E
in ground floor with wrought-iron yett; gun loops. E face
reveals former 1st floor hall hearth with massive joggled
corniced mantel with centre coat of arms.
INTERIOR: tower consists of single rooms, one on top of other
served by wheel stair; rooms in 2 upper floors vaulted; apex
of stair tower also vaulted.
Coat of Arms initialled AD and KR for Alexander Dunbar of
Grange and his wife Katherine Reid, with RD for Robert Dunbar
below with '1602 zeiris'. Alexander Dunbar died in 1593
before completion of castle in 1602 and was succeeded by his
son Robert. Castle added to in 1702 and demolished (except
tower) in 1802 to provide materials for Burgie House
Change of Category B to A, 25.4.89.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1794-5, Witherington and Grant ed
1982), p.631. Anon, SURVEY OF PROVINCE OF MORAY (1798),
p.161. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1842), p.248. MacGibbon and
Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND
ii (1887), pp.261-3. J G Murray, THE BOOK OF BURGIE (1930),
pp.21-2, 30 pl.3. Stewart Cruden, THE SCOTTISH CASTLE (1960,
3rd ed 1981), p.220.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.