BURGIE HOUSE (Ref:15584)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 25/04/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 090 594.
1802, additions and alterations (which in the main retain the original floor plan but heighten the house), Charles Doig, Elgin 1903; further additions and remodelling, W H Woodroffe, London, 1912-14. Minor alterations, A J Morrison, Elgin, 1946. Substantial 2-storey and attic house over raised basement; regular wide 7-bay S front (3 centre bays linked to advanced outer bays by narrow bays). Squared cherry-pointed tooled ashlar frontage, tooled rubble flanks and rear, contrasting polished ashlar dressings. Centre entrance approached by flight of steps oversailing raised basement; entrance masked by substantial porch added after 1914 and modelled on tetrastyle portico of 1802, with bowed mullioned and transomed side windows and glazed frontage with coloured glass depicting Lictors' staves. Flanking tripartites with carved detailing as on porch; 3 1st floor bipartites. 1912-14 Venetian windows in ground floor of both advanced outer bays with tripartite in 1st floor above; multi-pane glazing. Substantial corniced blocking course to outer bays returning across E and W side elevations with quatrefoil detailing. Tall corniced ridge and wallhead stacks with repeat quatrefoil detailing to copes; piended slate roofs, steeply pitched in centre. Wide rear elevation with irregular advanced outer bays; 4 piended and one box dormer. INTERIOR: some 1802 beaded panelled dados, window shutters and doors survive. White painted 1802 carved chimneypiece in entrance hall with mantel-shelf supported by slender columns with Corinthian capitals. Present dining room with carved white marble chimneypiece with centre swag. 1802 plaster ceiling friezes in drawing and dining rooms, 1912 frieze in entrance hall. 1903 staircase fronted by arcaded screen supported by fluted Ionic columns.
Burgie was the seat of the Dunbar's of Grange; in 1796 Lewis
Dunbar of Burgie married Sophia Brodie of Coulmony,
Nairnshire, adding Brodie to his name. They built the present
Burgie House in 1802, demolishing the old castle (except the
tower) to provide materials.
The estate was rented by Alexander Thomson, who originated
from Turriff and who made money in Ceylon, from 1900 and
purchased by him in 1911. His initials together with those of
his wife are on the 1912 datestone; reused datestone of 1621
set in E gable are those of Robert Dunbar and his wife,
Charles Doig probably acted as executant architect to W H
Woodroffe 1912-14, as the plans are together in the Doig
Collection. The drawings show the original tetrastyle
portico, rather than the one fronting the house at present.
The 1802 portico was subsequently re-erected in the walled
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1843), p.248. J G Murray, THE
BOOK OF BURGIE (1930), PP.121-2. Elgin Library, Doig
Collection, DGV P53.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.