BLERVIE TOWER (Ref:15583)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 070 571.
Late 16th century, 5-storey square tower formerly part of castle of earlier build (said to have been dated 1398). Rubble, ashlar dressings. Circular stair turret projects at S together with exposed hearth of former 1st floor hall with later 16th century chimneypiece. The chimneypiece has a moulded and joggled mantel with carved crest in centre flanking moulded jambs, remnants of moulded cornice and exposed relieving arch. Vaulted undercroft with some early gun loops.
Blervie Castle belonged to Alexander Comyn, Earl of Buchan,
passing to the Dunbar family during the 16th century who
probably constructed present tower and added to earlier
structure. The castle was demolished in order to provide
materials for the building of Blervie House, now Blervie
Mains House of 1776. Commanding position on hilltop.
Change of Category B to A, 25.4.89.
THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (vol xvi, 1794-5, Witherington and
Grant ed vol xvi, 1982), pp.630-1.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p.248 J and W Watson,
MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.35. MacGibbon and Ross, THE
CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND ii (1887),
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.