BLERVIE MAINS HOUSE (Ref:15582)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/04/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 6234 5706.
Dated 1776. S facing, 2-storey and dormerless attic,
symmetrical 5-bay house. Pinned, squared rubble frontge, harl
pointed rubble flanks, polished ashlar dressings and margins.
Slightly advanced centre gabletted bay with rusticated centre
doorpiece, small attic window and apex stack. Single ground,
1st floor and attic windows in E gable, paired ground and 1st
floor within similar attic window in W gable; 12-pane
Rusticated quoins; decorative lipped scroll skewputts, dated
at SW and with nautilus shell carved on gable faces; moulded
copes to ashlar end stacks; slate roofs.
Later single storey, 3-bay rear wing.
INTERIOR: entrance/stairhall with cantilevered staircase
rising full-height around square stairwell; reused stair
treads with moulded risers (moulding truncated at outside
edge) and with 1776 recut underside; twisted wrought-iron
balusters between ground and 1st floor, turned wooden
balusters above. Simple moulded ceiling cornices; raised and
fielded panelled doors and window shutters. Black marble
chimneypiece in dining room, later 19th century carved
chimneypiece in drawing room with white marble slip; reused
late 17th century moulded chimneypiece (?from Blervie
Castle) in one attic room.
Blervie Castle, of which the single 5-storey tower survives
sited to N of Blervie Mains House, was demolished in 1776 to
provide building material for the new mansion, in turn
superseded as Blervie House by the 1901 building of that
name. The nautilus shell carving on the skewputts is peculiar
to Forres and Findhorn, with this example at Blervie the only
one known outside these 2 centres.
House built by The Hon Major Lewis Duff, son of William
Braco, Earl of Fife.
Farmhouse and steading not included in listing.
Anon, SURVEY OF PROVINCE OF MORAY (1798), p.161. THE
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (vol xvi, 1794-5, Witherington and Grant
edition, vol xvi, 1982), pp.630-1.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.35
Groom's ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND i (1882), p.169.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.