Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

ALTYRE HOUSE (FORMERLY BLAIRS HOUSE) (Ref:15577)

This building is in the Moray Council and the Rafford Parish. It is a category B building and was listed on 25/04/1989.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NJ 027 549.

Description

W L Carruthers, circa 1895, enlarged 1931. Long rambling gabled S facing 2-storey house with E gable entrance front. Harled, contrasting tooled ashlar margins and dressings. Irregular wide 5-bay S garden front with bays linked by continuous bandcourse between ground and 1st floors. Gabled entrance front at E with off-centre recessed entrance porch. Gabled rear (facing entrance drive) with single 2-storey ashlar fronted gabled bays at NE. Some hoodmoulded fenestration; multi-pane glazing to casement windows. Coped ridge and wallhead stacks; stone slate roof.

Notes

Former Episcopal Parsonage for priest serving Altyre Episcopal church; enlarged 1931 when the Gordon Cumming family abandoned Altyre House, which was demolished in 1962.

References

Charles McKean, THE DISTRICT OF MORAY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1987), pp.53-4. National Monuments Record of Scotland.

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).