PRESHOME, CHAPEL HOUSE, GARDEN STORE AND WALL ENCLOSING HOUSE, GARDEN AND CHURCH (Ref:15525)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/04/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 4108 6144.
HOUSE: Bishop James Kyle with William Robertson, 1830. S
facing symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay house. Rubble, tooled
ashlar dressings and margins. Centre door with simple later
wooden portico type porch. Regular 3-bay rear fenestration; 2
centre stair windows lighting upper flights in E gable;
mainly 4-pane glazing. Coped end stacks; slate roof.
Later single storey lean-to at E gable.
INTERIOR: centre entrance passage with parlour at left and
former dining room (now sitting room) at right.
PARLOUR: plain white marble chimneypiece; simple ceiling
cornice; centre painted ceiling rose with armorial within
foliated wreath enclosed by simple hexagonal painted border.
FORMER DINING ROOM (sitting room): plain grey marble
chimneypiece (as parlour); simple ceiling cornice.
1ST FLOOR: library and former archive with original shelving,
'pigeon holes' and cupboards.
GARDEN STORE: later 18th century, W facing 2-storey, regular
2-bay garden store, probably former pavilion wing to earlier
house. Rubble, tooled rubble dressings. Entrance to 1st floor
by forestair at N gable; off centre gable entrance to ground
floor in S gable. 9-pane glazing; centre ridge stack; piended
Banffshire slate roof.
GARDEN WALL: house and adjoining church enclosed by coped
There appears to have been a former dwelling on site. Chapel
House designed and built by Bishop Kyle with William
Robertson who amended and drew the plans.
The Rt. Rev. James Kyle became Vicar Apostolic of the
Northern District of Scotland in 1828; he chose to reside at
Preshome where he remained until his death in 1869. He was a
remarkable administrator, a linguist, an architect and
scholar, a key figure in the Roman Catholic Church in
Scotland in the 19th century. 75,000 documents amassed at
Preshome during his lifetime and filed in his personal
archive room, are now in the Scottich Catholic Archive,
Edinburgh. The Bishop was also a hospitable man, providing 6
attic rooms for his guests.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1842), p.255. David McRoberts,
'Scottish Catholic Archives', INNES REVIEW 28, (1977),
pp.106-7. Scottish Catholic Archives, Edinburgh PL3/170/8 and
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.