PRESHOME, ST GREGORY'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH (Ref:15524)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 4100 6145.
Dated 1788, probably Father John Reid; chancel, altar and
some internal alterations Peter Paul Pugin, 1896.
Rectangular church orientated E-W with wide 5-bay Baroque
W front incorporating flanking stair compartments. Harled,
tooled and polished ashlar margins and dressings. Centre wide round-headed entrance with similar flanking entrances in
slightly set back outer square stair bay; 4 substantial
round-headed windows, slightly smaller similar centre window
raised into shape pedimented gable; all windows and doors
with keystones and blocked imposts. Shaped pedimented gable
crowns centre 3 bays, deep eaves band, eaves cornice and
blocking course 3 sides of stair blocks; urn and ball
finials, apex cross. Datestone above centre door, multi-pane
Wide 3-bay S elevation with blocked round-headed centre door
and window above; flanking linear traceried windows (tracery
Demi-octagonal chancel with similar traceried N and S windows
linked to narrow round-headed lancets by continuous
hood-mould/string course. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: lofty interior; brilliantly coloured stencilled
chancel, nave dado and cornice. Ornate canopied, carved and
painted reredos with picture of St Gregory fronted by carved
varied coloured marble altar. Carved coloured marble
communion rails and flanking marble pedestals supporting
statues. Brass memorial plaques right and left in chancel;
coloured tiled floor.
1896 raised rear organ platform enclosed by curtained
railings; plain pews; Stations of the Cross; ribbed flat 1896
Entrance lobby with centre ceiling rose of 1788.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
St Gregory's church the first Roman Catholic place of worship
erected in Scotland after the Reformation which did not
attempt to disguise the fact that it was a church (Tynet RC
church, 1755 constructed so as to resemble a cottage).
Preshome church replaced a barn used as a chapel before 1788;
this barn was called the Craigs barn and the chapel was first
called Craigs chapel. Gordon of Letterfourie is said to have
contributed considerably to the erection of the church. The
area was staunchly Catholic.
Picture of St Gregory by Caracci gifted by Lord Findlater and incorporated in reredos.
Brass plaques erected each side of chancel mark burial sites
of Bishop James Kyle, 1788-1869 and his nephew, Rev. John
Plaque above centre entrance in W front inscribed 'DEO 1788'.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1792-3), Witherington and Grant ed.
1982), p.383. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1842), p.265. Peter
Anson, 'Catholic Church Building in Scotland from the
Reformation until the Outbreak of the First World-War,
1560-1914', INNES REVIEW v (1954), pp. 126-7. George Hay,
THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES
1560-1843 (1957), pp.77, 154, 251. pl.20b.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.