CAIRNFIELD HOUSE (Ref:15517)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 414 624.
Dated 1802. Possibly John Paterson, Edinburgh. Mansion house on earlier site linked at NE to earlier service pavilion by curved quadrant. N facing 2-storey and dormerless attic mansion over raised basement, wide 3 bays. Pinned rubble front, contrasting tooled ashlar dressings; harled or harl pointed rubble elsewhere. Slightly advanced and pedimented centre bay in N entrance front with doorway approached by splayed flight of steps oversailing raised basement; wide corniced and pilastered ashlar doorpiece incorporating narrow side lights and large square fanlight with decorative glazing; double-leaf panelled doors. Keystoned Venetian window above. Advanced centre bay in S (garden) front with ground floor Venetian window and tripartite (blind centre light) above. Mid 20th century single storey over raised basement kitchen wing in SW re-entrance angle with balcony and steps leading to garden. 2-bay E and W gables, the extra long W raised ground floor windows (lighting drawing room) fronted by small cast-iron balconies. Between these windows, but overgrown with vegetation, is a reset 1666 datestone; small oval oculus between 1st floor windows. Decorated and dated 1802 rainwater head at E gable; long 1st floor windows; 2 sunken attic windows in piended roof at E and W gables; multi-pane glazing. Pair long centre coped flues; piended platform slate roof. INTERIOR: D-ended entrance lobby; beaded panelled dado and doors, opening right to drawing room and left to dining room; centre doorway leads to stairhall; bucrania frieze, decorative centre plaster rose. STAIRHALL: narrow and bowed each end, top lit cantilevered staircase rises full-height with delicate decorative cast-iron balusters and polished wooden handrail. DRAWING ROOM: beaded panelled dados, window shutters and doors; corniced overdoors with carved floral decoration; white marble chimneypiece with cluster columns; moulded plaster ceiling cornice. DINING ROOM: panelling as drawing room; decorative corniced overdoors with carved ferns and flowers; moulded plaster ceiling cornice. No original chimneypiece survives. PARLOUR: small S facing parlour; basket grate within re-assembled marble chimneypiece; panelling as elsewhere. 1ST FLOOR: some D-ended rooms; beaded panelling; simple cornices. ATTIC: 4 D-ended rooms; decorative cast-iron basket grates survive; moulded dado rails. Rooms open into shaped closets formed between curved party walls. Later built-in chests of drawers in window embrasures. SERVICE WING: later 18th century 2-storey W service wing of earlier mansion linked to house by curved corridor quadrant with convex NE face harled with regular arcade of engaged Doric columns and corniced blocking course. Re-faced N gable of wing of coursed pinned rubble, harl pointed rubble elsewhere, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. Wide segmental-headed recess in ground floor of N gable of wing (facing entrance front) with centre window between engaged Doric pilasters. Demi octagonal stairwell projects in centre of W facing 3-bay front; varied glazing. Centre coped ridge stack; piended Banffshire slate roof. Large garage door slapped in E elevation. INTERIOR: former ground floor kitchen gutted as garage. 1st floor modernised as independent flatted dwelling reached by curved staircase. Small single storey outbuilding close to former kitchen with bellcote and re-used lintel.
Until the 1970's Cairnfield was the ancestral home of the
Gordons of Cairnfield.
The service wing (mid-later 18th century former kitchen) is
similar to the 18th century mirrored wings at Rannas, also
Rathven parish, flanking the court fronting a former mansion.
The situation at Cairnfield may have been the same, but if
there was a mirrored service at the W it would have had to be
demolished as the land slopes steeply away westwards and the
present mansion takes up most of the levelled site.
Re-used 17th century lintel on outbuilding with monogram
which appears incorporate NG and 'Gloria in ......'
John Paterson, architect, Edinburgh (d.1832) practiced in
Elgin circa 1784-91. He had a predilection for circular and
D-ended rooms. Paterson is known to have worked in Moray
after his removal to Edinburgh in 1791 and is thought to have
worked for the Duke of Gordon (?Lakeside House, Gordon
Change of Category B to A 25.4.89.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1792-3, Witherington and Grant ed.
1982), p.253. D Souter, GENERAL REVIEW OF THE ARCHITECTURE OF
THE COUNTRY OF BANFFSHIRE (1812), p.85. NEW STATISTICAL
ACCOUNT (1842), p.255.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.