FOCHABERS, CASTLE STREET, GORDON CHAPEL (EPISCOPAL CHURCH) AND GORDON CHAPEL HOUSE (PARSONAGE) (Ref:1549)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 24/03/1988.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 345 588.
Archibald Sipson, 1832-4; additions and alterations, Alexander Ross, 1874. 2-tier Gothic church, combining Parsonage (former school) in ground floor and chapel in 1st floor. Orientated N-S with S entrance gable to Castle Street. Tooled ashlar entrance gable, harled flanks, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. Austere S gable with round-headed entrance (simple nookshafts and moulded reveals) in centre and triple light pointed-headed window above linked by cill course and continuous hoodmould; flanking square clasping buttresses with blind slits and terminating as octagonal gablet detailed pinnacles with stiff-leaf finials. Projecting 2-storey stair wing at W (1874). Triple light window in 1st floor at N gable with (1874) rose window above. Slate roofs. Entrance to Gordon Chapel House in W elevation; varied glazing to windows; single storey wing at NE with piended roof. INTERIOR OF CHAPEL: entrance lobby with mural memorial dated 1838. Stairs (installed 1874) lead to Chapel largely redesigned and refurnished 1874. Flat ceiling removed and replaced by hammer-beam roof; pine dado, pews and pulpit; brass communion rail; richly stencilled N chancel wall. Stained glass by Morris and Co, some designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones; E window depicting crucifixion (and probably dating from 1874), 2 windows on W wall and 3 in E wall depicting variously St Cecilia (1879), St Ursula (1887), Archangel Raphael (1902), Christ the Good Shepherd (1903) and St Michael (1914). Later 19th century decorative brass wall light brackets. Grey-white oval marble font with swagged and panelled sides supported by slender stem on plinth (possibly re-used from elsewhere).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Chapel and school given by Elizabeth, wife of 5th Duke of
Gordon. Mural tablet in entrance lobby commemorates Alexina
Mackintosh, who died in 1838 aged 21 having been a school
teacher for 4 years.
Unusual 2-tier plan-form.
THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p 119-120. George
Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES
1560-1843 (1957), pp 150, 266. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL
DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978), p 737.
Judith Scott, FOUR HUNDRED YEARS OF UPS AND DOWNS, THE GORDON
CHAPEL FOCHABERS (1984).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.