DIRLETON VILLAGE DIRLETON CASTLE, DOVECOT, CASTLE GATE, TOWER AND NORTH AND WEST GATEWAYS AND BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:1525)
This building is in the East Lothian Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 05/02/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 516 839.
Castle on rocky outcrop with sheer drop to W and N,
fosse to S, filled at E. 13th century origins by de Vaux
family, who built 2 round and a square ashlar towers to
S. SE entrance and E range rebuilt in 14th and
15th centuries by the Halyburtons. Minor additions by
Ruthven family in 16th century. Sandstone with some
S RANGE: 3 13th century towers. 2 circular with square
tower at centre. Triangular inner court. Masonry 10'
thick in places. Pointed vaults to polygonal chambers.
3 storeys originally.
SE ENTRY: timber ridge on rubble piers leading to tall
pointed arched gateway. Round arched inner and outer
gateways and portcullis chamber.
E RANGE: blank curtain walls pierced by minimal windows
to E. Barrel-vaulted chambers and bakehouse with Great
Hall and Kitchen. Chapel at N end with prison and pit
Additional remains in courtyard. Some notable carved
DOVECOT: 16th century, 4 tier, circular plan, beehive
dovecot, 30 yards N of castle. 21' in diameter, 25' high,
incorporated into earlier 19th century wall. String
courses dividing tiers with moulded billet course below
domed top. SW doorway with ashlar lintel. 2 buttresses,
coped where battered in.
CASTLE GATE: 16th century, round arched gateway to
Castlemains, in partial remains of rubble wall.
Quirk-edged roll moulding to surround to N, segmentally
arched embrasure to S. Bar-hole evident in E jamb.
TOWER: earlier 19th century circular, 2-storey stugged
sandstone ashlar tower, at W angle of boundary walls,
battered at base. Arrow slits. Paired pointed windows
to E with diamond pane glazing. Forestair to S serving
as porch to doorway below, with doorway above. String
course with water spouts, below crenellated gablet coped
parapet, bearing curved arrow slit details. Single
diminutive stack to NE behind parapet.
N AND W ENTRANCE GATEWAYS AND BOUNDARY WALLS:
Earlier 19th century walls. Raised stugged
ashlar bays with gablet coping. Roll-moulded outer
surrounds, chamfered inners to hoodmoulded gateways.
Timber doors with yett grilles to upper panels. Rubble
walls, ashlar coped with 2 stugged ashlar courses and
gablet coping set above, bounding N and W of castle grounds.
Guardianship monument. Tower entrance gates and wall
copings were part of Lady Elgin's "beautification" of
Dirleton, bearing similar features in other parts of the
village. The tower was deemed the most expensive "lamp
Scheduled Ancient Monument 90096.
Re-scheduled Area - 10 February 2003.
Ancient Monuments Guidebook, J S Richardson, C J Tabraham.
S Cruden, THE SCOTTISH CASTLE 1981, pp 80-87
C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1978, pp 173-6.
TRANSACTIONS of ELAFNS vol III 1934-8, p 9 T Wilson Fish,
Ancient Dovecots of East Lothian.
SRO RH15/70/4- contract for dovecot 1735.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.