INNES HOUSE (Ref:14862)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 2793 6500.
William Ayton, 1640-53. Large L-plan tower house, 4-storeys,
with 5-storey stairtower in re-entrant angle. Oyster coloured
harling with ashlar dressings and margins. Floors delineated
by string courses, lowered beneath windows; all windows
pedimented, the pediments (some circa 1912) bearing initials
and dates; regular fenestration; diamond-shafted chimneys at
gables; pinnacled skewputts. Tower has pierced wallhead
parapet, pinnacles at three angles and conical-roofed
caphouse at north-west angle.
3-storey canted bay window with crenellated parapet at W
elevation of towerhouse added circa 1825.
Courtyard at rear added soon after 1857 entered through re-
used (circa 1770) archway.
EAST WING: Walker & Duncan, circa 1912, in style sympathetic
to main house. 2-storey and attic wing linked to mansion by
2-storey, 2-bay passge range.
INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor; large 1st floor ballroom
(former 1st floor hall) with no original fittings. 1912
Built for Sir Robert Innes of Innes. Bought by James Duff,
2nd Earl of Fife, 1767. Bought by Mr Frank Tennant, circa
1910. On 4 September 1640 payment made to "William Aitoun,
Maister Maison at Heriott his work, for drawing the form an
the house in paper $26.13.4 Scots." The executant master
mason was William Ross.
House now divided as flatted dwellings.
David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC
ARCHITECTURE. ii, 202-3.
John Dunbar, THE HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1966), 75-78.
Howard Colvin, A BIOGRPAHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS
(1978), p.78 Alistair Rowan, "Innes House, Morayshire", COUNTRY
LIFE, Nov. 4 1976, 1268-9.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.