PHANTASSIE HOUSE (Ref:14503)
This building is in the East Lothian Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 05/02/1971.
Group Items: 19, 20, 22,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 598 772.
Mid 18th century, S facing 2-storey farmhouse, re- orientated with additions as L-plan in early-mid 19th century. White painted harling, ashlar dressings. E ELEVATION: entrance front; steps to raised ground floor semi-circular arched-doorway to centre with large decorative fanlight and 4-pane side panels; flush panelled door. Later canted bay windows flanking, extending to basement. Recessed 2-bay extension to right, tall windows; with iron bars at ground. S ELEVATION: 18th century centre block; 6-bay, door to 3rd bay from left, small windows flanking at ground, 6 windows at 1st floor. 2 taller 2-bay piend-roofed end wings added circa 1800; 2 windows at ground floor, 2 taller windows to 1st floor. 2 windows at ground on W re-entrant angle; entrance front to E. N ELEVATION: irregular service additions of various heights; irregular window pattern. Sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern. Piend roofs, grey slates, ashlar coped wallhead and ridge stacks; some renewed in brick. INTERIOR: Some original woodwork and plasterwork.
Countess of Aberdeen sold Phantassie estate to
George Rennie in 1785. Rennie erected lime kilns soon
after. Houston Mill is also part of Phantassie estate,
where Andrew Meikle invented mechanical threshing in the
late 1780's. George Rennie's son John, born 1761 was an
apprentice at Houston Mill; later became an engineer
famous for, amongst others, Waterloo Bridge, London,
from which balusters commemorate him in the grounds of
J Martine REMINISCENCES OF THE ROYAL BURGH OF HADDINGTON
AND OLD EAST LOTHIAN AGRICULTURALISTS 1883.
"The Scot who bridged the Thames" Muir Scotland's
Magazine, June 1961.
OS Map Haddingtonshire 1854.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.