BALLATHIE HOUSE (HOTEL) (Ref:13407)
This building is in the Perth And Kinross Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 23/08/1993.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NO 146 367.
Circa 1850's (see NOTES), large gabled shooting lodge/country house
with baronial turrets at angles. Long rectangle on plan, main block 2-storey, with lower single-storey and attic wing to E/NE, projecting slightly to form L-plan at entrance (NW) front. Grey sandstone stugged and snecked rubble masonry, droved ashlar dressings. Sequence of plain bargeboarded gables over projecting bays of main house block, and smaller bargeboarded gablets to dormer headed windows. Single and bi- and tripartite mullioned windows; series of projecting canted windows at ground floor to S/SE elevation, overlooking River Tay. Plate glass sash and case glazing, window frames with moulded horns, shorter upper sashes 1/3, taller lower sashes 2/3 in height; also leaded casement. Large number of original blind boxes. Slated pitched roofs, and tall axial ridge stacks. Timber bracketted overhanging eaves and timber corbel course at eaves and timber corbel course at eaves below slated conical roofs of turrets, apices decorated with lead flashings and iron finials. ENTRANCE (NW) ELEVATION: single-storey parapetted Baronial porch to right in front of gabled bay, parapet pierced to either side of sculptural armorial shield set in raised segmental arch over centre; vigorous Scottish Renaissance style masonry scroll and obelisk finials over outer, rounded angles of porch; telescoping 3-stage turret to left; modern slate-roofed single-storey addition further left in NE re-entrant angle.
Short, SW ELEVATION: 2 symmetrical gables with canted windows projecting at ground floor flanking large mullioned and transomed stair window at centre; telescopic 3-stage turret to left. Stair window with leaded casement windows. RIVER-FACING (SE) GARDEN ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay gabled elevation, 2-storey with gabletted dormers; single-storey and attic wing to right. Canted baywindows at ground floor of centre and right-hand gabled bays step down to terraced garden, which has some ornamental masonry vases.
E WING: 2 parallel single-storey and attic wings, with crowstepped gables, chimneybreasts and stacks running through centres of symmetrical E gables, modern link in between; crowstepped dormer-headed windows to SE.
INTERIOR: several extremely fine white marble chimney-pieces at ground and 1st floors, of various styles, and other with variegated coloured marble/scagliola slips, all with original cast-iron grates, fire-backs, fenders and fire-irons. Entrance hall/outer hall: white marble, neo-Greek chimneypiece, with reclining nymph bas-relief carving on centre tablet of frieze, Greek scroll key decoration, brass fender. Inner hall (in front of stair): white marble chimneypiece with fluted astylar columns, tapered below; timber staircase with twist balusters. Drawing room (ground floor): vigorously detailed neo-Rococo white marble chimneypiece inBrycian manner with large scrolling leafed consoles, set at canted angle, and swirling scallop at centre of frieze, white marble fender; compartmentalised Jacobethan style ceiling (ornamental plasterwork embellishment removed - see REFERENCES, NMRS photo), and decorative frieze. Dining Room (opens on to terrace): walls divided in panels, and subdivided by Ionic pilasters framing chimney piece at centre of N(NW) wall: fire surround of white marble, with detached Ionic column stiles with canted volutes, corniced shelf, Roman mythological scene (Androcles and the Lion in centre tablet, flanked by garlands, very fine brass fender, grate, rails with large acorn finials, and cast-iron splayed fire-back.
House not listed in 'Directory of Seats &c in Scotland' until 1857.
Set in designed landscape, main avenue to N(NW), and secondary avenue to W.
Sales particulars in NMRS (1970 and 1990) catalogue shows crystal chandelier in drawing room, and oak furniture.
NMRS photographs, Magnus Jackson Collection (originals in Perth Art Gallery and Museum), show original dark- painted windows and bargeboards, and interior (drawing room) decorative scheme, circa 1875. OS 1st edition map, 1867, and OS Namebook: "A fine mansion house with offices, vegetable garden and a small portion of ornamental ground attached, property of Major General Richardson of Tullybilton.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.