CARDROSS, ARDOCH WITH GARDEN WALL, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL (Ref:129)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3647 7625.
Circa 1780 with mid 19th century tower addition and alterations. Single storey symmetrical entrance front with 2-stage tower, 2-storey at rear. Painted stucco with painted ashlar margins and dressings. Base course to front. Architraved openings at ground.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-stage low square entrance tower at centre splayed wings. Tower with round-arched entrance at ground, moulding, roundel moulding in squinches; tripartite half-glazed door slightly recessed; tripartite window at upper stage; piended roof, weathervane finial. Bipartite window at ground and 1st floor of returns. Flanking bays, windows on each elevation splayed half-piended corner bays.
SE ELEVATION: single storey range attached to 2-storey, 4-bay block. French door at ground to outer left, large, fixed 12-pane fanlight above; 2 brass plaques in blank bay to right; inscribed "presented to Don Roberto from the Argentinian government", lower plaque dated 1937, upper from 1975; windows in bay to outer right symmetrically disposed. Windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, blank bay at penultimate right.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows, 12-pane sash and case window on 2-storey block at rear.
INTERIOR: not seen 1994.
GARDEN WALL: red brick wall to E of house, brick buttresses at regular intervals; ashlar slab coping.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: ashlar gatepiers with stop-chamfered arrises, pyramidal caps. Rubble wall with harl-pointing, ashlar slab coping.
Robert Cunninghame Graham of Gartmore acquired estate in 1770 and built Ardoch Cottage a Georgian Colonial style cottage with splayed wings. The central tower is a later addition. Not to be confused with Ardoch House, which has been demolished.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) p64. Scottish Field November 1970, pp32-35.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.