CARDROSS, MAIN ROAD, MANSE WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:128)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 08/09/1980.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3494 7729.
Earlier 19th century with later alterations by James Honeyman 1869-70; further alterations, 1897. 2-storey gabled Tudorbethan manse; rectangular-plan. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone, ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; eaves course;
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 bays asymmetrically disposed; advanced gable in penultimate bay to right forming 3-bay L-plan elevation with 4th slightly advanced piend-roofed bay to outer right. Blank outer left bay, blind arrowslit at ground, corbelled wallhead stack breaking eaves. Gabled porch in re-entrant angle to left of centre (advanced beyond gable to right) with Tudor-arched entrance, panelled door, carved ribbon in gablehead; Tudor-arched window on left return; ashlar coping to skews and skewputts. Narrow window at 1st floor above. Broad gable to right, broader window at ground, window at 1st floor; window to both floors of bay to outer right.
SW ELEVATION: 2-bay, near-symmetrically disposed M-gable; gabled single storey block recessed on side elevation on left. Full-height canted wing, blocking course at centre of right gable. Gable to left, slightly projecting bipartite at ground, stepped blocking course, window at 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: rubble, single storey gabled wing off-centre to right at ground, window on right return. 2 windows at 1st floor to left of centre, window at ground outer left.
NE ELEVATION: harled and wet dash; single storey wing.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows on SW elevation; 4-pane over 8-lying-pane timber sash and case windows on entrance and other elevations. Grey slate roofs, ashlar coping to skews and skewputts; ashlar coped wallhead stacks.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: sandstone gatepiers, stop- chamfered arrises, pyramidal caps; pedestrian gate to outer left; cast-iron gates. Curved stugged sandstone walls with ashlar saddleback coping.
An earlier manse had existed on the site dating from 1733. It is likely that the manse was completely rebuilt by Rev William Dunn after 1838. In 1869 James Honeyman carried out improvements to the adjacent church and manse. The adjacent former parish church, and the present parish church on Station Road are listed separately.
Arthur F JONES CARDROSS, THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p14.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.