QUARFF CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING KIRKYARD WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:12671)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 13/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 428 355.
John Davidson and Thomas Macfarlane, 1828-9. 4-bay T-plan symmetrical Parliamentary style church on site sloping to E. Harled walls with stugged and droved sandstone ashlar margins. Eaves course. 4-centred arched windows with modern timber tracery and glazing, and projecting, sloping cills. E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, windows flanking centre, 2-leaf vertically boarded timber doors in 3-centred arched openings in bays to outer left and right. S ELEVATION: neo-classical concrete war memorial at ground to right, single pointed-arched window rising into gablehead surmounted by stugged sandstone bellcote on square plinth.W (REAR) ELEVATION: rear wing with blank gable advanced at centre; enclosure of circa 1910 in re entrant at left comprised of decorative gothic cast iron railing on concrete dwarf wall. N ELEVATION: window rising into gablehead surmounted by stone cross.Modern slate roof with sandstone ashlar skew copes. INTERIOR: flagged entrance porches to N and S; 6-panel doors leading to vestibules behind vertically boarded timber screens with trefoil cresting. Pointed arched vertically boarded timber doors accessing hall; timber fittings including horizontally boarded wainscoting, pews, pew lined enclosure to panelled semi octagonal pulpit centring E wall with pilastered back rising to octagonal corniced canopy. Roll moulded cornice with coved plain plaster ceiling above. KIRKYARD WALL AND GATEPIERS: rubble wall enclosing rectangular kirkyard; stugged sandstone square gatepiers with modern timber gates to E and W of S wall.
Quarff was disjoined from Bressay and annexed to Lerwick Parish in 1891. This closely resembles one of the 42 standard T-plan Telford churches provided by an Act of Parliament of 1823 to meet deficiencies in the Highlands and Islands, but is in fact by Davidson and Macfarlane to Telford's design and as of additional interest as such.
John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p503. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p44.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).