ISLAY HOUSE (Ref:12142)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Killarow And Kilmeny Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 20/07/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NR 3340 6282.
Main block, c. 1680 (window-openings enlarged later). 3 storeys. 2 wings 1737. 2 storeys and attic. Traditional. Harled. Gabled. Slate roofs. Crow-steps. Piended dormers. Polygonal stair-towers added to end wings (E. one c. 1760); flat roof balustraded parapet; band-courses; Palladian windows. Splendid Georgian interior: winding stairs; drawing-room etc. Offices added at S.E. and rear. 1841-5 by William Playfair: Scottish style. Stugged ashlar. Gabled. Slate roof. Crow-steps. Dormers. '2-storey-and-attic nursery wing' in style of old house built in 1910 replacing part of playfairs offices and screening the rear part. There is a low addition at the N.W. The head game keepers home.
Formerly called Kilarrow House. Built for Sir Hugh
Campbell of Cawdor, Nairnshire. Wings added for Daniel
Campbell, 1st of Shawfield and Woodhall, Lanarkshire
(who had acquired Islay 1726); Stair-towers for Daniel
Campbell, his successor. Extended for Walter Frederick
Campbell, 4th of Island and of Woodhall, Lanarkshire.
Acquired 1853 by Charles Morrison of Basildon Park,
Pennant 'Tour 1772' Vol. I, p. 252.
'Islay, Queen of the Hebrides' 1881 p. 23 (ill.).
'Scottish Field' May 1960 pp.37-40 (ills.)
Playfair's drawings (dated 1841-2) at Edinburgh
RCAHMS Vol 5 no 411
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.