TAYMOUTH CASTLE (Ref:12093)
This building is in the Perth And Kinross Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 05/10/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: N/A.
Gothic, mainly chlorite-slate ashlar. Main block 4-storey with circular angle towers of 5-storeys, central staircase and lantern: 2-storey east wing; west wing partly stuccoed brickwork 2-storey, S. part 3-storey ashlar. Battlemented throughout.
Building history:- Main block of old Ballock Castle demolished. 1799 leaving flanking 2-storey wings of c. 1733 by Wm. Adam standing.
1806 main block begun James and Archibald Elliot archts, cloisters and main building completed 1808.
Staircase wholly designed and executed by Francis Bernasconi who also did the plasterwork of drawing rooms 1809-12: painted by Cornelius Dixon 1813. East wing pulled down and new east wing built 1818-19 and further extended by 1823, Wm. Atkinson, architect. 2-storey additions of stuccoed brickwork and crenellated parapet to west wing, 1825, also by Atkinson. Alterations to west wing, Queen's Rooms, Library, probably Library corridor, cast-iron external staircase and great dining hall and further storey, new battlements, ashlar casing added to Adam wing, J. Gillespie Graham archt. 1838-42 with interior work by A.W.N. Pugin. Drawing room and other ceilings by J.G. Grace from Pugin designs, finest of their period in UK.
Ground floor perhaps Paterson's work at least in part as the walls were built with a considerable batter and obviously not intended to have the present cloisters applied against them. Prior to Paterson, Robert Mylne had prepared plans for a new 'chateau' in 1789 but nothing was done though he did design and build a bridge 'for new road' the following year. Exceptionally spectacular and complete group of large country house and ancillaries.
N.S.A. v. X p.468-9.
A.H. Millar CASTLES AND MANSIONS.
Breadalbane Correspondence per A.J. Rowan, Esq. (Gillies contains the best published description.) The Breadalbane correspondence shows that several of the published descriptions of the castle are inaccurate: the work of 1838 is frequently ascribed to Bryce (1842).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.