CARDROSS, GEILSTON HOUSE WITH WALLED GARDEN AND GREEN HOUSE (Ref:1181)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3390 7833.
From 1766 with earlier and mid 19th century additions and alterations. 2-storey, asymmetrical, rambling-plan house forming approximate L-plan with mid 19th single storey block to outer right. Harled and cement rendered.SINGLE STOREY BLOCK NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: crowstepped, finialled gabled entrance porch advanced off-centre to left, moulded door surround, narrow flanking window. Half-piend roofed block advanced to outer right, 3 narrow, closely spaced windows; lean-to block in outer left corner. Long axis of main house advanced to outer left. 2-STOREY RANGE SW ELEVATION: long axis; smooth cement harl. Later 18th century 2-storey, 3-bay house to right with later, taller 2-bay block to left. Older house with 3 broadly-spaced, symmetrically disposed bays, door at centre ground, now blocked as window. 1st floor windows directly below eaves. 2, 8-pane cast-iron rooflights. Taller 2-bay block, bays symmetrically disposed, inner ground floor window blocked as smaller window. NW ELEVATION: balustraded screen wall enclosing courtyard, segmental- headed archway at centre, modern boarded door; flanking segmental- headed openings, that to left blind, keystones. 2-storey house behind with crowstepped gables flanking narrow centre bay, blocked openings in right gable. SE ELEVATION: 7 bays asymmetrically disposed; blank bay at centre, gablet breaking eaves, tall coped wallhead stack; closely flanking barred windows; window to outer right. 3 closely spaced bays to outer left, window, blank outer bays, gablet breaking eaves with wallhead stack.NE ELEVATION: 2-storey block to outer right, 4 windows symmetrically disposed. Infill rubble wall to left, blank rubble gable; bipartite at ground, 2 closely spaced bipartites at 1st floor on left return. End wall of single storey block to outer left, windows with gablet breaking eaves, stack at centre.8-pane, 12-pane sash and case windows; 9-pane cast-iron rooflights. Grey slate roof, lead flashings; moulded cement roof ridging. Tall, coped wallhead stacks on single storey block, circular cans. Cement-rendered, coped, ridge and gablehead stacks on main block. INTERIOR: 6-panelled door with 10-pane fanlight leads into long corridor running NE-SW. Square vestibule, large door framed by consoles; 3 pilaster flanked keystoned niches above door; drawing room with plain chimneypieces; basket-arched, pilaster-flanked and keystoned recesses. 6-panelled doors, niches above; plain cornices and plasterwork. 2-storey house with low ceilinged rooms.WALLED GARDEN: dated 1797. Large walled garden laid out to NE of house. Rubble wall with harl-pointing, slab coping. Large lean-to 19th century green house against N wall; Makenzie and Moncur. Half-piend-roofed storage shed in NW corner; masking former arched window, datestone 1797, now infilled with wooden casement window, overlooks weirs of coursed burn outside walls which collects in pond. Cannons in garden. Small woodland walk to S of house, well, droved ashlar round-headed wallhead inscribed 10th March 1863 ITG and HEG.
The land of Geilston was owned by the Woods family from the 16th century, then by a branch of the Bontines form the 17th century, the Buchanans of Tullichewan, and Donalds of Lyleston in the 18th century until 1805. In 1805 the land and house were sold to General Thomas Geils. Geils has already acquired Ardardan and Ardmore in 1798. The house was acquired by the Hendry family in 1925 and the present garden was laid out by Elizabeth Hendry and Margaret Bell from the early 1950s. The dovecot and stables are listed separately.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p62. OS 1st edition 1865. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p85. SCOTTISH FIELD September 1970.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.