CARDROSS, LYLESTON HOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND WALLED GARDEN (Ref:1180)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 08/09/1980.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3311 7945.
1798 2-storey, 3-bay house doubled in size by large later 19th century Tudor addition; forming L-plan. 1798 house; painted render with painted masonry margins; base course; quoins; eaves course. Later 19th century block, squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar margins and dressings; base course; hoodmoulds; string course.
SW (MAIN) ELEVATION: 1798 house: 2-storey, 3-bay house with lower single storey wing to outer left. Pilastered and corniced door at centre, modern glazed door; window above; flanking bays symmetrically disposed. Lower wing to outer left, modern picture window at ground. LATER ADDITION: advanced to outer right; 2 bays facing SW with porch in re-entrant angle formed with original house to left, chamfered reveals, stepped hoodmould, labelstops, shaped parapet; panelled door. Broad gable slightly advanced to outer right; canted window at ground, blocking course; bipartite at 1st floor, hoodmould; ventilation slit in gablehead. Narrow bay recessed to left, bipartite at ground, gabled dormerhead breaking eaves above, ball finial.
RETURN ELEVATION TO LEFT (NW): windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, corbelled apex stack.
SE ELEVATION: 2 bays; broad gable slightly advanced to outer right; canted window at ground, blocking course; bipartite at 1st floor hoodmould, ventilation slit in gablehead. Narrow bay recessed to left, bipartite at ground, pedimented dormerhead breaking eaves at 1st floor.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: various alterations, lean-to additions; canted dormer to outer right; rooflights.
4-pane timber sash and case windows on earlier house; plate glass and 4-pane timber sash and case windows on later addition. Grey slate roof, lead flashings earlier house; grey slate roof with ashlar sawtooth skews, gablet pedestals to ball finials.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995.
Lyleston House was built as a plain farmhouse in the late 18th century. The lands belonged to the Donaldson family. The house has been subdivided.
Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p86.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.